Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why this peculiar title?

It simply reflects the way I feel about my own transformation during the past year and a half.

MY BEFORE PICTURE
Photobucket


AND NOW?
Photobucket

The clip that follows has been cut from the New Year's Day episode of Charlie Rose interviewing Sam Mendes, director of American Beauty, about his most recent movie called Revolutionary Road. It's the story of a married couple living in the suburbs in the 1950's written in 1961 by Richard Yates. I guess I've been sort of married to my job for a long time and the parallells seemed pretty striking. Mendes' remarks really spoke to that tiredness and lack of passion and even irritability and antagonism that were overshadowing my work and the way I've grasped onto this moment to make a change and renew my teaching.

No comments: